Friday, October 17, 2014

Searching the App Store for Enlightenment

Some days are more successful than others, but all-in-all I’ve become somewhat used to the idea of meditating in the mornings. The newest addition to my practice this week has been my attempt to make use of mediation apps, and I’d like to discuss what I’ve found while using them (i.e., what works and what doesn’t).



For the uninitiated 

I believe I’ve said in my previous posts that meditation shares many similarities with exercising, but let me demonstrate that the connection goes beyond the difficulties of motivation. The ubiquitous place of small yet powerful electronics have brought about the beginning of the era of the “quantified self,” and the data that our devices are collecting goes beyond our running speeds. Meditation apps are wedding the usefulness of a mediation guide, a timer, and a mediation log to track progress. My favorite app this far, called Headspace, provides guided mediation sessions, reminds you to take time to mediate, provides you with goals, and rewards your success. It also teaches you the basics of mediation and offers new advice as you go along. It’s very useful for someone who is already glued to his or her phone, as half of the battle with mediation is simply remembering to do it.

The meditation apps I’ve used employee several learning strategies. Scaffolding is a central feature of nearly every app I’ve tried. It’s logical to start small. Headspace begins the first ten mediation sessions at ten minutes, while another app I tried, Insight Timer, only allows you to increase your time beyond ten minutes if you wish. As with nearly all “quantified self” areas, meditation apps attempt a bit of gamefication to increase motivation. Insight Timer keeps track of the lengths and consistency of your mediation, providing statistics, charts, and milestone achievements. Headspace takes it a step further with ladders to climb and leveling up after to certain milestones (e.g., 10 sessions completed).

My two favorite apps, which I’ve mentioned, both include at least an attempt at a social component. Headspace allows you to invite and challenge your friends within the app.  Although I think I’d have a difficult time convincing my friends to meditate, I find the idea to be very useful. Both apps also include “this many people are mediating around the world right now” thing, which I think is pretty useless, but some might find it encouraging to think that they are part of something more significant. Truthfully, neither of the social components work for me. I imagine being in a meditation classroom, where I’m either tasked with finding a partner to bring to class or simply shown dots on a map illustrating people mediating. I don’t think I’d find that very useful. I wish these apps would provide a way to make connections with these other meditating people. Maybe a way to communicate with them would be nice.


Lastly, I want to discuss the expert or guides they use on these apps. While I prefer to sit in silence or meditate listening to someone talking about something unrelated to meditation, I have meditated listening to guided mediation experts. Jack Cornfield is a favorite (who I was glad to find on Insight Timer), but some of the teachers don’t really make a connection with me. The narrator for the Headspace app is really not my favorite. He speaks too matter-of-factly, and I find his explanations or encouraging to be a bit distracting. He does little to increase my ZPD, whereas the better meditators (like Cornfield) provide new ideas and perspectives that I wouldn’t have been able to come up with on my own, but they are really helpful once I understand them.


I’ve found adding technology to this undertaking has been really helpful. I’m still on the outlook for new applications, and I’m just starting to dabble in online mediation forums, which is a very untapped place of wild potential. I’ll update you on my progress there next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment